SercoVision on a separate PC
It sometimes happens that SercoVision is installed on a PC at the end user, whilst this PC is also used for other purposes. SERCOM’s advice has always been to install this operating program on a separate PC, but we still see at Support that people install it on the work PC, with all the problems that entails.
This has significant disadvantages:
- Visibility of privacy-sensitive information such as payroll administration, auction prices, active websites;
- Active email, or active (web) WhatsApp sometimes needs to be clicked away;
- An active virus scanner that makes logging in more difficult and sometimes also makes it difficult to save settings;
- An active firewall that makes sending settings and measurements more difficult;
- Connection problems, especially with V22+ installations that communicate via UDP;
- Graphs can sometimes not be written properly because this is complicated by other software. Charts need to keep writing 24/7;
- Installing, for example, another SercoVision revision or other software is sometimes necessary and complicated by a password from the administrator;
- If the dealer or support has logged in to analyse problems, the end user cannot proceed further on the work PC;
- When restarting the PC, it must first be discussed whether the open software can be used closed.
Installing SercoVision on a separate PC intended for this purpose has many important advantages:
- It runs stand-alone, without any influence from other installed software, other than necessary;
- No privacy-sensitive information is visible;
- A permanent connection (for example, TeamViewer) can be made so that you can quickly log in in the event of emergencies;
- If there are problems, they can be resolved without hindering the end user;
- Virus scanners and firewalls can be temporarily disabled without immediately causing problems;
- The end user can easily reach the PC via a VPN connection, or an icon on their work PC is sufficient to activate this connection;
- Restarts, and other analysis software can be run smoothly without potentially getting in the way of other software;
- Graphs are written with a significantly smaller chance of problems and, therefore, gaps in the graphs.
We hope that you will take the above arguments into account in the future when installing SercoVision.